Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Solitude, Silence and Fasting

Those three words can send a chill down the most devoted follower of Jesus Christ. They are usually missing from our lives as we chase after a busy lifestyle and allow the things of this world to crowd out the things of God. However, this summer you can change that in your life. I've encouraged our church body to step into the arena discipleship and focus on Jesus Christ. Solitude, Silence and fasting enables the apprentice to quiet the noise of life and place themselves in a position where they are able to actually listen for God's voice. Jesus said that his sheep were able to hear His voice, and I believe that we don't do this more regularly because we have too much noise going on in our ears. So, plan some times where you go for a walk and other than the breathing and the birds, you are quiet. Talk a little and then listen for the Lord speaking to you. Once you get past the growl of the hunger pains, it's amazing what you can actually hear directly from God. Then the next step is obedience. Try it! You'll be surprised at the results.
I came across this paraphrase of Psalm 37 that I thought was great and well suited for our thought for today. Read it and rest.
"Fear not this worlds' evil, neither envy those who do wrong and profit, when you do not. Those who refuse to trust Me will wither like parched grass and wilted plants. They shall fade to nothing.
I am always watching over you, no matter where you are or how difficult times may be for you. There is no limit to My power as I help you.
Trust Me and do My will. Be refreshed in My pastures. Know that I keep you safely in My care. Delight in Me. Commit your will to Mine. I will take the righteousness I have instilled within you and make it shine like the noonday sun!
Quiet yourself before Me and wait upon My direction. Flee from fighting and anger. Never seek revenge. Pray for those who misuse you. I am your God. I will fight the battles for you. You will be blessed with good times as you hope and trust in Me; and you will enjoy My peace that passes all understanding. You are my child and I am your God."
Early in the morning is a good time to go for a walk and enjoy the quiet before the rush of noise of the day. This week, begin your walk with God by embarking on Solitude, Silence and Fasting.
Pastor Brian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good challenge. I've tried abit of solitude by walking but find silence hard as my mind races and I keep talking to God. Haven't done the fasting yet.