Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Joy of Serving!!

"For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another."  Galatians 5:13 ESV


What a party!! I  just came back from the CHVN Listener BBQ where I was able to serve with the staff of CHVN and several others to provide a great event of connection.  My experience today had me thinking as I drove away....why don't more people step up to serve in situations where a church or a ministry invites them to invest in eternity?  I had a great time today....from cutting buns for the Danny's Pulled Pork BBQ to chillin water to giving my suggestions for the sauce people should use to guiding the young children on the blow up bouncer.  It was completely enjoyable the entire time. 


The people from CHVN were serving right beside us volunteers and the people that came to make the party colourful...I mean the face painters and one young man that was amazing with balloon creations and the young ladies inside the station providing colourful nails and beauty tips.  With the support of local business personalities....Shona Scappaticci and her team, Danny's Whole Hog Barbecue & Smokehouse, Corpell's Water and others....it was a party! 


Anyway....back to the serving and volunteering part!  This is what I concluded after today:
  1. The attitude or "heart" of the volunteer has to be right. I looked around and saw people that were genuinely happy to be there serving others.  The attitude of doing something for others was contagious.  There was no one that I saw volunteering that looked like they wanted to be somewhere else!  Each person was engaged in the event and many were doing what brought them joy....serving others.
  2. Pride and Position were missing!  Thomas Guenther was the leader of this Summer Event and so he was in charge.  We listened and served him as he lead the team.  When a person volunteers to serve, there is a lack of pomp or rights that are given up.  Servants ....serve.  We are not the guests...we are the help...we make the guests know that they are welcomed....special...important...that they matter to God and to us.  It was fun serving with others today because there was "no one greater than another"...we were equal servants and when that happens....there is joy.
  3. It is important to keep the goal in mind.  This was not about CHVN wanting more exposure or making an event to bring attention only to itself as a Christian Radio Station....I think it was all about the Kingdom of God.  People that Love God loving people through an event that brings people together.....a BBQ Party!  There is what I would call a unique attitude among the church leaders within Winnipeg.  We get the fact that we are all on the same team trying to build the Kingdom of God and not our own little castles.  The friendships that have formed between many of the pastors continues to strengthen the Church in Winnipeg and I hope that the people can see that the Love Winnipeg Campaign is not just something that we "do"...it's something that we "are".  Today was another example of God allowing us to be involved in something where He gets the glory and people are loved...maybe just a little bit closer to Him.
  4. Investing in people's lives in the greatest return investment.  As I served I was approached by a young lady who re-introduced herself to me.  Many years ago I had baptized her and so she was updating me on her family and their life.  Within the year they(her Husband and her) will be commissioned as Missionaries and are looking forward to whatever God has planned for them.  It was a thrill to see this woman passionately following God's call on their lives and the fact that I had a little part in that so many year ago.....priceless!
There you have my long version of the Joy of Serving.  I trust that you will look at the opportunities that God puts in front of you each day and especially in September as so many ministries re-engage, and consider how you can experience the Joy of Serving.
Blessings,
Pastor Brian

No comments: