Friday, January 02, 2015

Beginning a new file!

It is time for a new file that is labelled....2015!  I start one each year that allows me to put things in it for planning purposes.  I find planning essential so I always include a calendar that I can write all over so that I make sure that I keep on top of events and engagements all through the year.  I know that many people have gone to paperless but I keep a glossy calendar of classic cars in my file or this year it's a classic with paintings from Normal Rockwell.  You know you are old if....I know!
I just put the 2014 file away and as I looked over the items I realized two things....
One...I was involved in many events and lives this past year.  I have notes from funerals, planning meetings, evaluation meetings, messages and cards from those who encourage me. I didn't get all the things done that I was planning to do.
Two....I saw evidence of growth, deeper faith and a greater connection with people and as a result...I was able to achieve so much more than I imagined.
You are likely think.....get it figured out Brian...either you were able to achieve less than what you were planning or more but you can't have it both ways!!!  I know it sounds that way but there were people in my life that took priority of the things in my life.  I can also attend another meeting or prepare another message or read another book or watch another cool video or read a friends post...but I cannot always visit a person from our congregation or talk with and pray with someone on the phone that is going through a day in life, and that is how I was able to accomplish more than planned. 
For months we focused at McDermot on one phrase and let it seep into our lives with each passing Sunday.  The phrase.....Make Room for God!  Simple but in every way, life changing.  So, I did just that!  When opportunity presented itself, I took it as a sign from God to go and visit someone, have lunch with someone, phone them and talk with them and in some cases...even email an old friend to encourage them.  Each time I was drawn away from things to people.  Each time....great choice...and I might even be so bold to say....God's choice.  
My new file is very empty but I'm looking to fill it with ideas and thoughts and scripture that impact my life and then pass that on to others while God gives me time.  I had a shock today as I realized that I will turn 57 this year!!  Wow...where has the time gone??
In reality I've retired 56 file folders with events in them and many people that have intersected my life as I've intersected their lives.  This year I'm looking forward to the intersections of friends as I journey with my Saviour, my wife and family, and my friends.  May your year be filled with the treasures of time with people.  I will continue to make room for God to work as I engage in the lives of people.
Blessings,
Pastor Brian

No comments: